Skip to content
- Read the lease to make sure you understand what is required of you.
- Bring lease into Student Legal Services for review before signing it.
- Each tenant should write a separate check for the deposit amount.
- Document all problems with residence on a checklist and have landlord sign it.
- Take photos of any damage to residence using the date stamp on the camera.
- Report any problems (such as water leakage) in writing to the landlord
- Make appointment with Student Legal Services if repairs are not made.
- Clean residence so it’s in the same condition as when you moved in. Have someone help clean so they can be a witness in the future.
- Take photographs of the residence after it has been cleaned. Have another person present when you take the photos so they can be a witness in the future.
- Go through the residence with the landlord using a checklist to document the condition of the apartment. Both landlord and tenant should sign off.
- Provide landlord with your forwarding address (in writing).
- Landlord must return the deposit to you within 30 days of lease termination.