Last updated July 8, 2010
The PlaceFinder family of sites (the “Site(s)”), including, but not limited to, PlaceFinder.com™ is committed to implementing policies and procedures designed to protect your privacy and security, in addition to providing you with the best possible online experience. To that end, we want you to understand what kinds of information we gather about you, how this information is used and safeguarded, and how you can control its use.
Click here for information on Internet safety and security from the Federal Trade Commission.
- What information is collected from me?
- Information Sharing Disclosure – How is my information used and shared?
- How can I access and change my information?
- How is my information protected?
- Effective Date and Modifications
- Contacting Us
Automatic Collection of Information: Like many Web sites on the Internet, we automatically track certain information about you as you visit and use our Sites to help us to better understand how the Sites are used and how we can enhance your overall experience on each Site. This information may include your computer’s Internet Protocol address, the URLs and Site pages you’ve visited, the number of times you visit each Site page, what downloads and/or search queries you have made, how long you spent on particular sections of each Site and on each Site generally, and your browser type. This automatically gathered data includes information provided through the use of “cookies” (which is described in more detail below).
Information from Cookies: Cookies are small files that we send to and store on your computer so that we can recognize it as a unique machine the next time you visit the Sites. You are always free to decline any cookies we use if your browser permits. Some of our advertisers and third-party service providers may also utilize their own cookies. Several of them may be part of the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) Self Regulatory Principles Governing Online Preference Marketing. To opt out of the NAI’s Online Preference Marketing, click here. In addition, we and our service providers sometimes use “clear GIFs” in connection with cookies and other website functions. Clear GIFs perform administrative functions without detracting from your online experience. They may be used to perform statistical and administrative tasks including measuring site and page traffic, verifying advertising avenues and positioning images on the web. Clear GIFs do not collect Personal Information.
The use of your information depends on the context in which it is collected. Therefore, pay special attention to the categories below that relate to the features of the Sites that you wish to utilize.
We may share the Personal Information we collect from you only with your consent or under the following circumstances:
User-Requested Services and Information: Certain products or services on our Sites may seek Personal Information from you, which may be used in the following ways:
- For products and services provided by the Sites, the information you submit is used by us to provide the information, product or service you’ve requested. We may also share this information with others, but only to the extent necessary to fulfill your request or to facilitate your use of their services. When sharing such information in such a manner, we may also share your Internet Protocol (IP) address. In addition, we may use any registration information that you submit as set forth in the “Registration Information” section below.
- We may use other companies and individuals to perform supporting functions for the various tools, functionality, products and services offered through our Sites on our behalf. These service providers will not be permitted to use the information collected from you for any other purpose other than performing the support functions for PlaceFinder.
User-Initiated Communication: From time to time, portions of the Sites may enable you to send email to us or to third parties and to participate in public bulletin boards and discussion groups. All postings to public bulletin boards and discussion groups become our property. Your Internet Protocol (IP) address may be included in any email that you send, whether to us or to third parties. Whenever you choose to initiate these kinds of communication with us, or anyone else, you may be contacted in return. Also, remember that our bulletin boards and discussion groups are open to the public, and therefore, your postings can be seen by anyone and are not protected by us or any other entity. Please use your own discretion when deciding what to post and whom to contact. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to edit or delete inappropriate postings from our bulletin boards and discussion groups. This reservation of rights shall not under any circumstances obligate us to conduct such edits or deletions, nor shall it cause us to be liable for any such edits or deletions.
Referrals: If you participate in any referral service we may offer:
- Consumers: We use the information you submit to determine which of our participating professional(s) may be able to serve your needs. We may then forward your information, which may include Personal Information, contained on our sign-up form to certain professional(s), who may then contact you.
Asset transfers: We continue to develop our business and in doing so might choose to buy or sell other businesses or assets. Personal Information is generally one of the transferred assets acquired or transferred in such transactions.
Registration Information: The Personal Information you provide when you become a registered user or customer of one of the Sites is used primarily to help us customize your online experience, increase the convenience of accessing new tools, products and services, and, if applicable, provide the products and/or services you purchase or request. This Personal Information may also be shared among the Sites to make your use of the Sites more convenient by, for example, limiting the number of times you have to register with us. Your email address serves as a unique identifier in our record system, and together with your password is designed to prevent unauthorized access to any information you choose to store on the Sites. The data you give us about your personal preferences and demographics (e.g., your age, ZIP code, occupation or the like) may be used to help us offer content, advertisements, products, and services that we believe will be of interest to you. In addition, we may share this information, in aggregate form, with our current and potential advertisers so that they can present advertisements more effectively. If you forget your password for any registered area of the Sites, we have an automated password recovery system, which can be accessed by clicking on the “Forgot Password?” link on the sign-in page.
- Unless you specify that you’d prefer not to hear from us, we may use the email address you provide at the time of registration to contact you for promotional or other purposes. You may have these communications terminated at any time by opting out through your member profile on the applicable Site, or by clicking on any “unsubscribe” link contained in a promotional email. Please be aware that opting out on one of our Sites, does not opt you out from any of our other Sites. If you would like to request to opt out with respect to all of the Sites please email email@example.com with your requests.
- Professionals. Personal Information provided to us from your trade association is not shared with third parties, unless you authorize it directly. We may offer a newsletter to keep you abreast of the products and services on the Sites or other professional products and services. Information such as your license number or personal financial information will not be shared with third parties except to complete a transaction or as provided in the paragraphs above. Additionally, information provided by you for the purposes of offering your products and services to others via one or more of the Sites will be shared with others, including consumers accessing one or more of the Sites. To the extent such information is necessary to offer such products and services it will be posted on the applicable Site(s). This may include, without limitation, your full name, email address, license number, state of license, address, phone number, graphic images and any other data intended to help consumers identify or contact you and for your products and services.
Children’s Privacy: Our Sites are general audience Web sites. If you are under the age of 13 you should not register or provide information on our Sites. We do not collect Personal Information from any person we actually know is a child under the age of 13. If you have knowledge that a child under the age of 13 has submitted Personal Information to us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view, edit or delete the Personal Information you submitted on the Sites during registration, the purchase of a product or service, or elsewhere as described above:
- Consumers: Follow the instructions found in the “My Profile” or “Edit Your Profile” area of the Site(s) where you registered or submitted Personal Information. If you would like us to no longer use or share with our affiliates, partners or other service providers, your Personal Information we may gather from you to market information to you, please send a request to email@example.com
- Professionals: You may edit your information by returning to the area of the Site where you registered and modifying the information there, or by calling our Customer Care Center at (800) 878-4166. By contacting Customer Care to make such changes, you expressly authorize Customer Care to access your data for the purposes of completing your requested edits, modifications and/or deletions.
1530 Breezeport Way, Suite 800
Suffolk, Virginia 23435